Substance Abuse TREATMENT
There are three different terms used to define substance-related disorders, including substance abuse, substance dependence, and chemical dependence. Treatment for Substance Use Disorders may include:
SUBOXONE Film is approved for use in both induction and maintenance treatment of opioid dependence in appropriate patients.
- For dependence on short-acting opioids, like heroin or prescription painkillers, SUBOXONE Film, which contains buprenorphine and naloxone, may be recommended to help you begin and maintain continuity of treatment
- When transitioning from dependence on long-acting opioids, like methadone, a buprenorphine-only medication may be recommended
- Induction—you begin your treatment (or restart it if you’ve relapsed) under the supervision of a doctor. For your first dose, you must be in a moderate state of withdrawal. You work with your doctor to reach a dose of SUBOXONE Film that works for you.
- Maintenance—Your doctor will help you to transition to the maintenance phase of treatment when you:
- Are no longer experiencing withdrawal symptoms
- Have minimal to no side effects
- Do not have uncontrollable cravings
- In the maintenance phase, you may be taking your medication regularly as prescribed. You should comply with all of the elements in your treatment plan including responsibly handling the medication, staying free from illicit drug use, and seeking counseling and/or psychosocial support.
Medical taper—The decision to discontinue therapy with SUBOXONE Film after a period of maintenance should be made as part of a comprehensive treatment plan. It is important that you work with your doctor to determine when the time is right to slowly lower your dose, taking care to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Throughout treatment, you should discuss any concerns you have about relapse with your doctor.
ZUBSOLV is an advanced formulation for the maintenance treatment of opioid dependence which should be used as part of a complete treatment plan that also includes counseling and behavioral therapy.
ZUBSOLV® delivers a comparable concentration of active medication to previously approved Suboxone® tablets.
BUNAVAIL® (buprenorphine and naloxone) buccal film (CIII) is a prescription medicine indicated for the maintenance treatment of opioid dependence. BUNAVAIL should be used as part of a complete treatment plan to include counseling and psychosocial support.
VIVITROL® (naltrexone for extended-release injectable suspension) is a prescription injectable medicine used to treat alcohol dependence and prevent relapse to opioid dependence after opioid detox.